THIS IS AN EDUCATIONAL COMMUNITY BASED SUPPORT FORUM FOR HARM MINIMIZATION ONLY.
NO SOURCING OR DEALING WILL BE TOLERATED.
TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST READ AND AGREE TO THESE RULES HERE.
MEMBERS THAT DO NOT FOLLOW THE RULES WILL BE AGGRESSIVELY BANNED.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: storing shroomz

Popper is offline Highly Valued TripMe Senior Contributor
    Thanks

^^ yeah fresh is definitely more potent. The active ingredients in shrooms are psylocybin and psylocin. I think psylocybin is responsible for the more desirable effects live visuals & euphoria, and degrades faster than the psylocin which is respoinsible for the head fuck part of the trip. Someone correct me if i'm wrong here but this is what i've heard - and experienced, the mushie caps i've taken which have been stored a while weren't as enjoyable as fresh shrooms.
    "NO, YOU CAN'T F#@KING SNORT IT!"

Captain is offline Highly Valued TripMe Senior Contributor
    Thanks

The chemical is psilocybin/psilocin/baeocystin, though, and it doesn't evaporate... it (they) degrade(s) through oxidation.
    http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/archive/i.../t-258819.html

you cant protect your shrooms from the oxidation process while you are drying them.
    Politics is the art of controlling your environment - HST

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nzdcoy View Post
    does anyone know if there are any 'liquid' type actives that would get lost while drying them?
    There are several other alkaloids in the shrooms but these are in negligible amounts so will have negligible effects, except for maybe a slightly stoned feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Popper View Post
    ^^ yeah fresh is definitely more potent. The active ingredients in shrooms are psylocybin and psylocin. I think psylocybin is responsible for the more desirable effects live visuals & euphoria, and degrades faster than the psylocin which is respoinsible for the head fuck part of the trip. Someone correct me if i'm wrong here but this is what i've heard - and experienced, the mushie caps i've taken which have been stored a while weren't as enjoyable as fresh shrooms.
    Psilocybin and Psilocin have exactly the same psychoactive effects. This is because Psilocybin is converted to Psilocin before entering the bloodstream. So taking 10mg of Psilocybin will cause exactly the same trip as 10mg of Psilocin.

It always confuses me when people say fresh caps are better than dried. This is purely subjective since every mushroom trip is different and depends on more than just the amount of shrooms you eat. The only difference I can see is the fact that in fresh shrooms the actives are already dissolved in the water so may cause a quicker onset.

As for drying them, the only thing you have to worry about is the exposure to oxygen. If you could somehow somehow heat them inside a vacuum, you would retain 100% of the actives.

Thanks

the effects of ps.aucklandii when dried properly were NO less than fresh after over a year!!!
    drying is also good because you can then weigh doses and cap for ease of consumption...

swim never used to dry them,but know sees the benefits...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by th2bc View Post
    As for drying them, the only thing you have to worry about is the exposure to oxygen. If you could somehow somehow heat them inside a vacuum, you would retain 100% of the actives.
    to dry them, you need air around them to take up moisture. (a dehumidifier type thing will make a relatively small amount of moisture in the air, allowing more to be taken up). if you have a vacuum the water is heavier than the nothing that is around the mushrooms so will settle with them.

at least thats my understanding of it

Thanks

"swim finds drying them, crushing, then stuffing into capsules works pretty well. and funnily enough, by the time they're totally dry the amount you can stuff tightly into a cap (one of the big ones stuffed as tightly as possible) is a perfect dose. "

this is swims method also, wrapped in a handy towel in hot water cuboard. then swim uses a old cofffe grinder to make powder then into the caps, great to go out on the town with a bag full of caps, wicked form of currency at times!! and very convenient
    2 is an average dose swim finds 4, 5 ,or 6 and its really game on!! now just have to wait till next door bark garden produces the goods it sems they dont pop till bout early june each year

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nzdcoy View Post
    to dry them, you need air around them to take up moisture. (a dehumidifier type thing will make a relatively small amount of moisture in the air, allowing more to be taken up). if you have a vacuum the water is heavier than the nothing that is around the mushrooms so will settle with them.

at least thats my understanding of it
    The air creates a pressure on the water which makes it harder for water to evaporate. So in a vacuum the water molecules actually evap at a much lower temperature.

I can't be fucked trying to sound like a smart ass, so heres a link to a laboratory vacuum dryer
    . "Particularly it is suitable for the raw materials that are easy to oxidize, volatilize and have strong heat sensitive"

Obviously not everyone can afford one of these to dry their fungi. However this swimmer came up with his own homemade version:

1. Get a coconut and saw it in half, clean the inside of the shells.
    2. Drill a hole in one of the shells
    3. Jam the intake side of a bike pump into this hole and seal it air tight.
    4. Put whatever you want to dry in the coconut and put the two coconut shells back together.
    5. Start using the pump and the two shells should lock together and you wont be able to pull them apart no matter how hard you try.

This cheap ass method wont create an absolute vacuum, but the pressure will be low enough so that if you put the coconut in a bowl of hot water it will only take a few hours to completely dry whatevers inside.

Thanks

so what about the classic way of storing em in the freezer
    does this make em lose potency?

Thanks

There was something on them in another thread somewhere. cant find it atm.. I dont think we came to a conclusion in it whether the compounds break down or whatever; only post I could find was one by stondsmithy saying that ones they left in their freezer felt weeker if they were left in there for months

Thanks

Weed in NZ
    Quote Originally Posted by oli dogg View Post
    so what about the classic way of storing em in the freezer
    does this make em lose potency?
    it definately breaks down the cellwalls and fucks them if frozen from fresh!
    Making icecubes or drying and then freezing im not sure about..prob would work but maywell loose potency..?

"Obviously not everyone can afford one of these to dry their fungi. However this swimmer came up with his own homemade version:

1. Get a coconut and saw it in half, clean the inside of the shells.
    2. Drill a hole in one of the shells
    3. Jam the intake side of a bike pump into this hole and seal it air tight.
    4. Put whatever you want to dry in the coconut and put the two coconut shells back together.
    5. Start using the pump and the two shells should lock together and you wont be able to pull them apart no matter how hard you try.

This cheap ass method wont create an absolute vacuum, but the pressure will be low enough so that if you put the coconut in a bowl of hot water it will only take a few hours to completely dry whatevers inside."

very good idea!!!;-)
    so its tried and tested then???