THIS IS AN EDUCATIONAL COMMUNITY BASED SUPPORT FORUM FOR HARM MINIMIZATION ONLY.
NO SOURCING OR DEALING WILL BE TOLERATED.
TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST READ AND AGREE TO THESE RULES HERE.
MEMBERS THAT DO NOT FOLLOW THE RULES WILL BE AGGRESSIVELY BANNED.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Sample ID request - READ BEFORE POSTING AN ID REQUEST

As initially designed by Alan Rockefeller, I think this new forum needs one hell of a tidy-up. I'm more than happy to help ID these mushrooms for more inexperienced people but it's just a mess in here and 50% of the time I'm seeing blurry shitty camera phone photos of a tiny little LBM with no description and "should I be excited??" or "i'm 99.9% sure these are subs but just want to make sure" and they're an Inocybe or Gallerina etc.

Please can we make it a requirement for ID requests to have the following information below as well as clear detailed pictures.

__________________________________________________ _______________

It is critical that you describe mushrooms fully and accurately in order to get a proper identification.

A good picture of the mushrooms is invaluable, but not required.
    Along with the pictures YOU ARE REQUIRED to provide the following data:

* Habitat (where [woods, pasture, state,province,country, altitude] and what [soil, dung, wood (dead, living, what kind of wood?)] does it grow on)
    * Characteristics of the gills (color, attached/not, gills/pores, etc)
    * Characteristics of the stem (length, diameter, color, texture, hollow/solid, thin/thick, etc)
    * Characteristics of the cap (diameter,color, texture, conical/spherical, convex/concave, etc)
    * Spore print color (very important!)
    * Color that the mushroom bruises
    * Scent of the mushroom
    * Anything else you might find important

If the spore print color is missing it is important to post a clear pic of the underside of the cap.

Thanks guys, this will make life a hell of a lot easier for positive ID requests and to help avoid people making misinformed ID's (as some people seem to like to jump to conclusions just to appear that they know what they're talking about - this is far too dangerous a subject to do that with.)

All said, happy hunting!

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dimethyltryptaminer For This Useful Post:

a1i (14-04-2015), Captain (12-06-2011), Chase (16-05-2012), Frenzal (12-04-2011), Mister (12-04-2011), Sampioen (01-07-2014), Seeker (08-06-2014), thedudeman (23-02-2015)

Thanks

Good idea.

STOP BEING LAZY AND DO SOME RESEARCH, ITS NOT HARD!

Too many cockmonkeys come in posting photos of random shrooms they stumble upon hoping to get lucky. Put a bit of effort in and eventually you will be rewarded.

c0ke is offline Highly Valued TripMe Senior Contributor
    Thanks

somebody pin this mofo
    If you don't see it coming, you deserve it.
    Harm Reduction Buckie | Magic Mushrooms Guide

Thanks
    Thanked 3,043 Times in 1,149 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nickc View Post
    Please can we make it a requirement for ID requests to have the following information below as well as clear detailed pictures.

It is critical that you describe mushrooms fully and accurately in order to get a proper identification.

Thanks guys, this will make life a hell of a lot easier for positive ID requests and to help avoid people making misinformed ID's (as some people seem to like to jump to conclusions just to appear that they know what they're talking about - this is far too dangerous a subject to do that with.)
    Exactly, the whole point of this forum is to reduce harm and help prevent people killing themselves. Accurate identification is essential.

Thread stickied.

Thanks

Default Helpful info on spore prints

Originally Posted by dogannon

Easiest way to check is to take a spore print - seriously, this is so simple (for the sake of those who don't know): Take a couple of caps, remove the stipe (stem), place gills down on a piece of white paper or tin foil and place a glass over top to cover. If they're quite dry then wet the inside of the glass. The spore print should start to appear in a few hours, or leave overnight. The colour MUST be purple brown/black to confirm an active mushroom. Any non-purple brown colour (e.g. rust-brown) should not be eaten.

When I first started, this test saved me many times (especially from those damn cortinarius sp.)...

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Swizzle For This Useful Post:

awake2infinite (17-05-2013), Chase (16-05-2012), LowerHutt (08-08-2013), Mister (12-04-2011), mystic_b (12-06-2011)

Thanks

Default Top 10 Mistakes In Mushroom Photography

Hi guys,

Regarding photos of Fungi.

Please take a look at this very helpful site, It will help you save time getting an ID for an unknown mushroom and will make it easier for people to ID specimens.

http://www.mushroomhobby.com/TOP_10_MISTAKES/index.htm

Thanks
    Thanked 3,043 Times in 1,149 Posts

Thanks everyone for contributing to this forum already this season. A couple deadly toxic threads, so a few lives saved already perhaps!
    Every exit is an entrance to new experiences.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Neo For This Useful Post:

JackReacher (07-06-2014)

Thanks

Hey guys I've found these shrooms on multiple occasions and can't seem to identify them. I'd like to say that you'd be able to identify these shrooms as good as me as all I have is visual reference. We just had some rain yesterday and a few showers this morning
    -Found in bush where soil is moist
    -brown cap with dark shade of brown in middle
    -cap is convex shape
    -NOT a hollow stem
    -stem is white/brown
    -spores are white
    -smell is "mushroomy" lol
    -I can't give an acurate length or width as they are babies (assuming) but no taller than 1.3 inches
    -I am in north island

Thanks

Thanks