THIS IS AN EDUCATIONAL COMMUNITY BASED SUPPORT FORUM FOR HARM MINIMIZATION ONLY.
NO SOURCING OR DEALING WILL BE TOLERATED.
TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST READ AND AGREE TO THESE RULES HERE.
MEMBERS THAT DO NOT FOLLOW THE RULES WILL BE AGGRESSIVELY BANNED.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Radula Marginata (Perrottetinene)

Back in 1993, some Japanese doods came to New Zealand to study the chemistry of liverworts. There was suspected to be a THC isomer in some plants. So anyway, they did their TLC/GC tests, and they found that Radula Marginata contained Perrottetinene, which they suspected to be a cannabinoid based on it's similarity to THC.

Comparing the two molecules, the only difference is that there's a benzyl group on the tail of Perrottetinene. So you'd assume they'd be similar. I'm no chemistry major, but I do know that this tail would make Perrottetinene very much more non-polar. Whether or not this affects it getting across the BBB, I don't know.

So I found the liverwort, and collected some samples.

Bioassay #1
    170mg of Radula marginata weighed out.
    Smoked all the material, no overt effects at t = 8.33pm

Heart rate is normal. Possible threshold effects, although could just be from smoke inhalation.

t = 8:37pm
    Slight headbuzz.

t = 8:42pm
    Still have a slight headbuzz.

t= 8:53pm
    I feel quite good, and there's a definite slight headbuzz.

t = 9:02pm
    Apart from the taste of dirt in my mouth, I feel pretty normal.
    For bioassay #2, I extracted 4g of dried Radula Marginata with acetone. I evapped this down to a sticky residue in a petri dish. I scraped this with a razor, and put it onto gauze and smoked it through a buckey. I got approximately 10 hits.

Bioassay #2
    Smoked the resin from an acetone extraction of 4g dried material.

Initially, I didn't feel anything.

At approximately 10-15 minutes in, I notice a light headbuzz, very light. Perhaps this extraction was
    unsuccesful. I feel a small amount of head pressure as well.

I feel quite relaxed and calm now, and I feel a very slight buzz still.
    I went inside about 20 minutes after smoking this resin, but there was no difficulty in doing so. I have a rather decent cannabinoid tolerance, but this shouldn't have affected this test. Basically I didn't get anything major from this second bioassay.

So, in conclusion, more work needs to be done. For one, we now know that Radula Marginata is not active without an extraction, and even with extraction, it may not be active anyway. I will follow this up with a few more bioassays of plain material (dried further), and I'll try another extraction with another solvent. The original guys used diethyl ether as their solvent for a yield of 22mg~ Perrottetinene from 4g of dried material, but I don't have access to ether.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bluntmuffin For This Useful Post:

Xsqueak (18-07-2012)

Thanks

This is interesting stuff. You should try doing an extraction with IPA.
    Since it has a phenyl group at the end of the chain it will likely be more lipophilic, this would suggest that it would be easier for it to cross the BBB but by adding a group like that could totally change the compounds activity.
    Look forward to more of you results.
    Last edited by AqueousTransmission; 12-04-2010 at 04:41 PM.
    "Politics is the art of controlling your environment." - Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks

Ah, I see that it's called a phenyl group, seeing as it doesn't have the extra carbon linkage. Thanks for pointing that out.

I will probably next try for a naphtha extraction, and use a coffee grinder too.

Drael is offline Highly Valued TripMe Senior Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,040 Times in 459 Posts

Wow dude, well done. I beleive your the first person in the world to try this stuff.

I wonder if it is stable under heat, like THC (ie can you actually smoke it). Vaping might be better?

You need details like solubility data, melting point etc, but of course there wont be any. With that data would could make a better extraction of the theoretical active. :/

Cool stuff though, let us know how you get along.

Thanks

Update: Smoking the plant matter before smoking cannabis resulted in strong irritation of the mucous membrane of my lungs, and my friend's throat. I'll try again in a few days (for science) to make sure that it was the radula marginata, and not some other variable. I also had a strange numbness in my fingers, that could also be related to some effect on the circulatory system, maybe this plant is a vasodilator (lowers blood pressure). I have checked my pulse after smoking radula marginata, and although it stays at a similar rate, I'm sure it feels weaker. Too much of a vasodilator, and you'll get hypotension, which is very bad.
    I'll try in a few days time to see if there is indeed vasodilation and early signs of hypotension, which would basically mean than an extract is the only "safe" way.

Thanks

wow dude, thats great, do you have pictures of the radula?

Thanks

Smile Radula marginata

Hello there

I have heard lot about Radula marginata.
    Any idea where can i find it.

R

Quote Originally Posted by bluntmuffin View Post
    Update: Smoking the plant matter before smoking cannabis resulted in strong irritation of the mucous membrane of my lungs, and my friend's throat. I'll try again in a few days (for science) to make sure that it was the radula marginata, and not some other variable. I also had a strange numbness in my fingers, that could also be related to some effect on the circulatory system, maybe this plant is a vasodilator (lowers blood pressure). I have checked my pulse after smoking radula marginata, and although it stays at a similar rate, I'm sure it feels weaker. Too much of a vasodilator, and you'll get hypotension, which is very bad.
    I'll try in a few days time to see if there is indeed vasodilation and early signs of hypotension, which would basically mean than an extract is the only "safe" way.

Thanks

Alright, I smoked my naphtha extract to no effect, other than possibly the residues left in that pipe. I have a feeling that I need to try a new extraction technique. My initial idea is to wash the material in water, freeze it, grind with a mortar and pestle (need to buy one first), and extract with acetone again.

Frenzal is offline Highly Valued TripMe Senior Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 585 Posts

I think i've mentioned this to you in PM, but the dmt-nexus is probably a good place to float ideas.
    Last edited by Captain; 03-05-2010 at 09:08 PM. Reason: link fixed
    I hate people who take drugs.

Like police, customs, parents...

Thanks

Weed in NZ
    I'm basically going to be doing more research to make sure of my findings. I'd hate to say it was inactive at huge doses and it to be only because of poor technique (extraction and smoking). But yeah, from what I've found, if it is active (doubtful), it's a fickle fucker.