THIS IS AN EDUCATIONAL COMMUNITY BASED SUPPORT FORUM FOR HARM MINIMIZATION ONLY.
NO SOURCING OR DEALING WILL BE TOLERATED.
TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST READ AND AGREE TO THESE RULES HERE.
MEMBERS THAT DO NOT FOLLOW THE RULES WILL BE AGGRESSIVELY BANNED.
    Thanks

Default Are these blue meanies?

* Habitat Found on a rotting log in a bushy area around Manawatu. Light to Medium rainfall the last couple of days
    * Characteristics of the gills Not identifiable
    * Characteristics of the stem Thick-ish, white and blue in colour
    * Characteristics of the cap Only Sprouts(?) at the moment - didn't pick
    Hi, so basically I went mushroom hunting a little early to see if I could find any growth. I found these growing on a log, and was wondering if I was seeing some early growth of blue meanies. They look quite like them, or what I would imagine a young specimen to look like (sorry I know the picture quality is quite shit - I thought it was better). I left them on the log growing for now, but would just like some confirmation. Also, if they are Weraroa, how long would they take to mature from this point? I'm guessing around a few weeks but am totally unsure as this is my first (early) season looking for wild shrooms (kicking myself about not getting into it earlier lol). The weather has been quite miserable and rainy around Palmerston North recently so that's why I've been trying to get amongst it early.

Cheers for any help lads, you do Gods work here.

Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/58cgh5gd78...%20PM.jpg?dl=0

Thanks

Weed in NZ
    Hey there,

Please take my advice with a grain of salt as I'm just a one season novice when it comes to shrooms, but let me say what strange looking things you've come across there. I couldn't even start to let you know what family they are from. They seem to be in the right environment however but wrong season, however the weather has been a bit all over the place lately so you never know. I've seen amanita muscaria growing in abundance in Southern NZ in January.

I'd start here if you haven't already had a peek: http://www.tripme.co.nz/forums/showt...and-n00bs-read It's full of wonderful information which I'm sure you'll find handy. The pdf that can be downloaded from that thread is a great read too.

Anyway back to what you have there. I'd say let them grow a little more and perhaps the right characteristics come along, but please don't do anything with them until you have a 100% positive ID.

Unfortunately these forums have been very barren as of late so I'm not sure if you'll get your answer here in a decent time frame. You can always ask over at the shroomery forums too: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/ and maybe you'll get your answer.

Take care out there

And a better pic may help too
    Last edited by Lamb420; 18-01-2018 at 09:34 PM.