THIS IS AN EDUCATIONAL COMMUNITY BASED SUPPORT FORUM FOR HARM MINIMIZATION ONLY.
NO SOURCING OR DEALING WILL BE TOLERATED.
TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST READ AND AGREE TO THESE RULES HERE.
MEMBERS THAT DO NOT FOLLOW THE RULES WILL BE AGGRESSIVELY BANNED.

Thread: Mushroom ID

Thanks

Red face Mushroom ID

Hi all. Im pretty new to the Shroom scene and wanted to get identification on a few different kinds ive found. First ones are white tops with dark greyish/black underneath. Found in cow/horse paddocks among the dung. Second ones were found among rotting branches on the bark and around. Darkish yellow/white tops and white/little darker bottoms. Just looking for info so i can be more informed. Have pics but cant attach them.

Thanks

Thanks

As my first post on this forum, I hope I'm not violating any rules by referring you to an external site - if so, Apologies to mods and admins. However, you should pay a visit to https://www.shroomery.org/forums/sho...Number/2263556 and familiarise yourself with the information that is required in order to assist with the positive identification of the mushroom that you have found. Pictures will be essential, as will spore prints - read the post, and learn how to make them. Otherwise you're putting yourself at risk and just wasting time.
    Having said that, assuming that you are looking for psychoactive mushrooms, from your description I would hazard a guess that neither of these contain psilocybin or muscimol. The only psilocybin mushrooms with which I am acquainted grow on wood chips. These are small, caramel coloured (drying to straw-yellow from the tip outwards) and bruise blue and - most importantly - have a dark purple/brown spore print (all of the Psilocybe mushrooms IME have dark purple/brown spores; species that have rusty brown spores may be one the deadly Galerina species - and I have found them growing within 15cm of active Psilocybe species, so always check spore colour! In any case, these grow in the Autumn onwards, after a cold snap and rainfall.
    The others - Amanita muscaria, which contain Ibotenic acid (which is decarboxylated to muscimol by heat and/or glutamate decarboxylase), is the classic "toadstool" - red with white spots. Given the fact that Ibotenic acid is injected into rat brains to kill off brain cells to assist in research, you will want to steer clear of consuming this one until you have done a sh*tload of research on how to decarboxylate the ibotenic acid. The information IS out there, but FFS don't eat them raw, or even after drying if you value your brain cells - if you come across any, just collect and dry and store them until such time as you have worked out how to make them safe for consumption. Tip: it involves drying, then the use of certain yogurt bacteria (which contain the requisite enzymes - there's a really good episode on the Mycomeditations podcast with "doctor mushroom" - don't have the details and my battery's about to die). While far beyond the topic of this post, google muscimol+ibotenic acid+glutamate decarboxylase for a patent that lists the required bacteria to render this neurotoxic species into Soma (the patent is by the GP in the podcast). While I have seen Amanitas growing at this time of year a few years ago in a wet Summer, , they tend to fruit in Autumn as well.
    In any case - and I'm sure that others will correct me if I'm wrong - this is the wrong time of year to be looking for psychoactives in NZ. Wait until Autumn, but until the, hit the Shroomery and educate yerself, then post there to get positive ID. You really don't want to get this wrong!
    Also, educate yourself on the basics of mycology, especially growing stem butts on cardboard, if you want to get your own patch going... BEFORE Autumn comes! Practice on some store-bought Oyster mushrooms.
    Good luck, be safe - if in doubt chuck it out - and always be sure of your motives for taking these incredibly powerful and potentially highly beneficial medicines!
    Last edited by NgatiWikitoria; 15-01-2018 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Spelling errors

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NgatiWikitoria For This Useful Post:

Lamb420 (15-01-2018)

Thanks

Weed in NZ
    Great information @NgatiWikitoria. This is exactly what you should do before deciding to consume shrooms.

Another good place to start is here: http://www.tripme.co.nz/forums/showt...and-n00bs-read

There should be a link there to download a good and informative pdf thats all about NZ shrooms. It really is a must read.