THIS IS AN EDUCATIONAL COMMUNITY BASED SUPPORT FORUM FOR HARM MINIMIZATION ONLY.
NO SOURCING OR DEALING WILL BE TOLERATED.
TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST READ AND AGREE TO THESE RULES HERE.
MEMBERS THAT DO NOT FOLLOW THE RULES WILL BE AGGRESSIVELY BANNED.
    Thanks

Unhappy Has anyone been to court for a DUI?

Hi guys, I have a few quick questions for those of you who have had the unfortunate pleasure of having to attend court for a DUI offence.

1. My court date was set by the constable who arrested me and I want to know if I receive any follow up from the courts confirming this date? Or do I just show up on the day?

2. Secondly, I am not a local. I was planning on making my life year or at least spending 2-3 years here but having made this horrible mistake I will likely lose my job and face deportation charges so I have made the decision to go home. If I plead guilty on the day of my first court hearing and the penalty is a fine and disqualification, will I receive my sentencing on the same day and be able to make payment there and then? I ask because I intend on flying out the next day and would really just like to put this ordeal behind me. I really don't want to have to plead on one day and be sentenced on another. I'm hoping that it it can all be sorted in one day. Based on your experience, does this happen over a number of different days or can it all be handled on that day?

3. My reading was 706 and I was charged with dangerous driving. Is there a possibility of jail time? If it were just an EBA charge, I'd be pretty sure it would be just a fine and disqualification but with dangerous driving too could the penalty be jail or will it just a be a larger fine and longer disqualification?

I am an idiot and I am so sorry for what happened. I was selfish and careless. There's nothing I wouldn't give to go back to that day and just walked home. I will live with this for the rest of my life.

Anyway, I do appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MistakeMade View Post
    Hi guys, I have a few quick questions for those of you who have had the unfortunate pleasure of having to attend court for a DUI offence.

1. My court date was set by the constable who arrested me and I want to know if I receive any follow up from the courts confirming this date? Or do I just show up on the day?

2. Secondly, I am not a local. I was planning on making my life year or at least spending 2-3 years here but having made this horrible mistake I will likely lose my job and face deportation charges so I have made the decision to go home. If I plead guilty on the day of my first court hearing and the penalty is a fine and disqualification, will I receive my sentencing on the same day and be able to make payment there and then? I ask because I intend on flying out the next day and would really just like to put this ordeal behind me. I really don't want to have to plead on one day and be sentenced on another. I'm hoping that it it can all be sorted in one day. Based on your experience, does this happen over a number of different days or can it all be handled on that day?

3. My reading was 706 and I was charged with dangerous driving. Is there a possibility of jail time? If it were just an EBA charge, I'd be pretty sure it would be just a fine and disqualification but with dangerous driving too could the penalty be jail or will it just a be a larger fine and longer disqualification?

I am an idiot and I am so sorry for what happened. I was selfish and careless. There's nothing I wouldn't give to go back to that day and just walked home. I will live with this for the rest of my life.

Anyway, I do appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
    Generally for a DUI things would be finalised that day if guilty plea is not in dispute by yourself, Same for dangerous..
    Can't remember if fine can be paid that day in court office, if not payment via internet/credit card later is still possible..?

If planning on leaving why not leave before the court date..?
    "Our entire universe is contained in the mind and the spirit. We may choose not to find access to it, we may even deny its existence, but it is indeed there inside us "... Dr Alexander Shulgin June 17th, 1925-June 2nd, 2014.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daz69 View Post
    Generally for a DUI things would be finalised that day if guilty plea is not in dispute by yourself, Same for dangerous..
    Can't remember if fine can be paid that day in court office, if not payment via internet/credit card later is still possible..?

If planning on leaving why not leave before the court date..?
    That's music to my ears. Thanks for that.

As for leaving the country, I would think leaving without facing an active charge is a far greater offence than a DUI? I'd also like to come back here every now and again which I don't think I'd be able to do if I flea the country. There would also be a warrant out for my arrest which would further complicate travel to other countries and what not. I reckon the best outcome would be paying the fine, getting a criminal conviction that is limited to NZ and rebuilding my life back home without this hanging over me.

Thanks

That's music to my ears. Thanks for that.

As for leaving the country, I would think leaving without facing an active charge is a far greater offence than a DUI? I'd also like to come back here every now and again which I don't think I'd be able to do if I flea the country. There would also be a warrant out for my arrest which would further complicate travel to other countries and what not. I reckon the best outcome would be paying the fine, getting a criminal conviction that is limited to NZ and rebuilding my life back home without this hanging over me.
    The charge will just stand against you if you return, thats all.. Same charge..!! No international arrest warrant..lol
    "Our entire universe is contained in the mind and the spirit. We may choose not to find access to it, we may even deny its existence, but it is indeed there inside us "... Dr Alexander Shulgin June 17th, 1925-June 2nd, 2014.

Thanks

The charge will just stand against you if you return, thats all.. Same charge..!! No international arrest warrant..lol
    That is interesting but would it not reflect badly on my character if I ever wish to apply back here or to any other country where they would ask for record in each country where I've lived for more than 6 months in? It's not a chance I'm willing to take, I've made a mistake and need to face the consequences. It would also help me put this incident out of my mind completely and give me the closure I need to start again.

Thanks

That is interesting but would it not reflect badly on my character if I ever wish to apply back here or to any other country where they would ask for record in each country where I've lived for more than 6 months in? It's not a chance I'm willing to take, I've made a mistake and need to face the consequences. It would also help me put this incident out of my mind completely and give me the closure I need to start again.
    That's very responsible, although a DUI, plus dangerous would be seen to mark negatively against your character..
    Technically if you didn't appear in court the dangerous charge at least would be unproven..

If you don't mind me asking what was the circumstance of the alleged dangerous charge..?

Thanks

That's very responsible, although a DUI, plus dangerous would be seen to mark negatively against your character..
    Technically if you didn't appear in court the dangerous charge at least would be unproven..

If you don't mind me asking what was the circumstance of the alleged dangerous charge..?
    Running a red light.

Thanks

Weed in NZ
    Running a red light.
    6 month ban, $700 fine is my guess...