THIS IS AN EDUCATIONAL COMMUNITY BASED SUPPORT FORUM FOR HARM MINIMIZATION ONLY.
NO SOURCING OR DEALING WILL BE TOLERATED.
TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST READ AND AGREE TO THESE RULES HERE.
MEMBERS THAT DO NOT FOLLOW THE RULES WILL BE AGGRESSIVELY BANNED.
    Drael is offline Highly Valued TripMe Senior Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,136 Times in 525 Posts

Default Daz69 and any other serious lifters

Hey, I've been thinking about getting hard into exercise.

I've done a little high intensity weights. I'm considering slowly expanding that from 1/week, to most days.

I'm just wondering, if you go to muscle fail fast like that (45-90 secs), and do so regularly, would you actually get past the muscle ache?

Usually when I've been doing it once per week, I feel achey for a few days. Which is fine, but I'm hoping it wouldn't be every single day, after you've been doing the higher schedule for awhile :P

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drael View Post
    Hey, I've been thinking about getting hard into exercise.

I've done a little high intensity weights. I'm considering slowly expanding that from 1/week, to most days.

I'm just wondering, if you go to muscle fail fast like that (45-90 secs), and do so regularly, would you actually get past the muscle ache?

Usually when I've been doing it once per week, I feel achey for a few days. Which is fine, but I'm hoping it wouldn't be every single day, after you've been doing the higher schedule for awhile :P
    Hey Drael.. That's what's known as DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness).. That usually occurs after abstinence from training, although once a week could have similar effects..

Optimum schedule is generally regarded as 2 days on, 1 day off, 1 day on, 1 day off repeat..
    "Our entire universe is contained in the mind and the spirit. We may choose not to find access to it, we may even deny its existence, but it is indeed there inside us "... Dr Alexander Shulgin June 17th, 1925-June 2nd, 2014.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daz69 For This Useful Post:

Neo (14-02-2017)

Thanks

Thanks man Knew you were still around.

I always did muscle failure on each exercise in 45-90 seconds. So biggest weight I can lift, for that time period. Rather than the gym for an hour, doing more and more reps with progressively lighter weights.

I'd go to basically being able to lift/push nothing within about 15 mins. The inroading is intense. My heartrate would go to max during the workout. The DOMs from the first week of that left me unable to put on a shirt, or eat properly. The first workout made me almost pass out.

But after months of it, it'd be much milder, but never went away completely, a few days of a bit of ache each week.

I since broke my wrist, so I've been able only to keep up with the minumum, but want to get back to it even harder.

My understanding is that weightlifters looking for hypertrophy don't exactly work out that way. They tend to do reps. Is that how you work out, as a bodybuilder I expect reps of progressively smaller weights?

Or do you some of you guys do high intensity, muscle failure, shorter workouts? (Suppose that jerk and lift stuff would qualify as high intensity!)

Is that right? If so, it might not be an entirely transferable experience. But then again, perhaps there's something inbetween (I do love that push that intensity, and the rush afterwards, and also the quick results)

I'm going to put in some hiking, and some sprinting, but also want to up my weight days.

There's ambition versus experience, and I guess you get to enjoy the DOMS, I just don't want to be a floppy rubber chicken all week.

Cheers man

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Drael For This Useful Post:

Neo (14-02-2017)

Thanks

Hi Drael.. I myself powerlift, and my GF is a bodybuilder (so fortunately knowledge of both).. We've not heard of the system you are currently using, we've both believe a push-pull alternate training days could work best for you.. (one day pushing, one pulling).. (using 2 on, 1 off, 1 on, 1 off repeat)..
    Try to employ heavy compound exercise, deadlift, squat, press, b/o rows, chins, dips etc..
    Gauge weight by how many reps you are able to do in each set to failure using slow strict form.. Try for above 8, but below 12... Once you can easily reach 12 with good form, increase the weight slightly until you can only do 6-8, repeat..
    You might be in the gym a while longer than 15 mins, but should find it works better for strength and growth..

As you know, you are what you eat.. Goodluck..

A question for you Drael: What do you know about negative/positive effects of cannabis post exercise.. Thanks..
    "Our entire universe is contained in the mind and the spirit. We may choose not to find access to it, we may even deny its existence, but it is indeed there inside us "... Dr Alexander Shulgin June 17th, 1925-June 2nd, 2014.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daz69 For This Useful Post:

Drael (24-01-2017), Neo (14-02-2017)

Thanks

Weed in NZ
    Thanks man, that's helpful. Something like an upper, lower, push/pull rotation might work well. That specific advise, I will use.

So much appreciated

Well, I've heard people recommend prior, due to anaesthic qualities.

Both exercise and cannabis trigger the endocannabinoid system. Which would likely increase the buzz.

The both increase heartrate, and both lower blood pressure. Personally, I'd at least let your post exercise heartrate (which is also indicative of BP in my experience) settle before smoking cannabis.

Of course if you exercise a lot, maybe both heartrate and BP might be minimally effected. But after my workouts I get a raised heartrate and lowered BP for a little while.

I can't see any negatives in terms of gains etc, except perhaps cannabis is mildly estrogenic (not as much as beer)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Drael For This Useful Post:

Neo (14-02-2017)