THIS IS AN EDUCATIONAL COMMUNITY BASED SUPPORT FORUM FOR HARM MINIMIZATION ONLY.
NO SOURCING OR DEALING WILL BE TOLERATED.
TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST READ AND AGREE TO THESE RULES HERE.
MEMBERS THAT DO NOT FOLLOW THE RULES WILL BE AGGRESSIVELY BANNED.
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Captain is offline Highly Valued TripMe Senior Contributor
    Thanks

Lightbulb Mushroom Hunting Guide: Please Contribute!

In light of the numerous threads being posted here with people asking for exact locations and the likes; I think it would be a good idea for us to have a "mushroom hunting guide: the basics" type thing.

This means what to look for, what not to look for, times of the year, places it grows, best time to go for a hunt, how to handle and how to prepare.

I do not know enough by far to write a guide, but it seems there are some knowledgeable people on this forum.

If you have anything to contribute to it could you please post it in this thread, then people can critique comments and a mod can combine the parts into a logical volume.

If you know sources feel free to add them here (whether that be erowid, etc). This includes journal articles if poss!

oh and full url's please rather than just erowid.com etc.

and please, only constructive criticism on this thread and try not to get it off topic.

Thanks guys!
    Politics is the art of controlling your environment - HST

Thanks

Swim will get the ball rolling... he is rather new to shrooms but has had great success so far this seasons

He will start by noting he only hunts for Psilocybe Subaeruginosa, more commonly know as subs.

Best place to look... around motorways and large roads (even inbetween them) in the light brown wood chippy type stuff. NOT the dark bark that is often found in playgrounds etc. Swim has found heaps and heaps of subs around motorway intersections in Auckland, amongst the small flax bushes etc. Just be smart about how you do it because there is lots of people driving past and it can look odd and draw attention to ones self when they are rummaging through gardens by motorways.

Good luck folks

edit: if any of the location description is out of line, or too specific, my apologies mods. let me know if so please so swim doesnt do it again.
    Last edited by batman23; 09-06-2009 at 05:01 PM.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to batman23 For This Useful Post:

Auckland (26-07-2012), coacervate (20-08-2015), OldSmoker (08-07-2012), Sampioen (12-09-2014)

Thanks

Other places to look are in well established pineforests an native forests when looking in these types of areas it pays to sweep off the top serface of the pine needles as they grow under that where they cant be seen ,when hunting in native forests etc swim find most grow on dead/rotting wood.Swim finds good time to go hunting are a day or so after a nice rain ,when its nice an moist they love it like that.When picking the sacred shrooms its a good idea to take a sharpe knife or siccors so as to cut it so ya leaving the bottom part of the stalk still in tacked so they grow there next season.When storing swim stores in fridge in a plastic bag(yes they sweat a bit) but when putting n a paper bag swim finds alot of the bluing stains the paper.When swim stores in the fridge swim finds there good for up to 2weeks before they start getting all moishy etc.Swim has been making mushroom tea by simmering the shrooms in water for at least 30mins to an hour then draining the liquid an squeezing the last of the goodness out of the shrooms n a chux handy towel.Swim the puts the juice into a icetray container over night then when frozen into a glad bseal bag an leave in freezer,these mushy cubes will store for months without loosing there potency.Swim has also been drieing shrooms in between newspaper an putting in hotwater cuboard for 2-3day then crushing/cuttng into powder then capping up an then storing in dark dry place ,these will store for mths aswell.Swim finds for a light trip around 7 shrooms,a ok trip 10-15 an for a heavy trip 20+ will do it hope this helps

*please edit and use paragraphs, then delete this message*
    Last edited by Consulate; 09-06-2009 at 08:41 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stondsmithy For This Useful Post:

Auckland (26-07-2012), Sampioen (12-09-2014)

Thanks

"Psilocybe Subaeruginosa, more commonly know as subs."

Or commonly referred to in New Zealand as 'Goldtops' or sometimes 'Goldcaps'.

"in the light brown wood chippy type stuff. NOT the dark bark that is often found in playgrounds etc"

Pinus Radiata(Pine) Bark,mulch or woodchip,as opposed to things like Macrocarpa Bark(which is darker than pine bark).

"When picking the sacred shrooms its a good idea to take a sharpe knife or siccors so as to cut it so ya leaving the bottom part of the stalk still in tacked so they grow there next season."

And also to tap the Mushroom Cap to release spores.

"Swim the puts the juice into a icetray container over night then when frozen into a glad bseal bag an leave in freezer,these mushy cubes will store for months without loosing there potency."

I have never tried this as ive read on other sites that Freezing breaks down the Mushrooms Cell walls(structure?) and they loose potency??

I personally cant confirm/deny this method,but il re-read when i get a chance and delete this if incorrect.
    Apparantely if mushrooms are dried they can then be frozen.

Il have to dig through my files and try and digout all the relevant info and links i can find as Education and harm reduction are very important for younger people,ill educated,mis-informed etc especially when it comes to psylocybe mushrooms!

peace

Thanks

I have never tried this as ive read on other sites that Freezing breaks down the Mushrooms Cell walls(structure?) and they loose potency??

I think this is true if you freeze the whole shroom itself compard to freezing the shroom tea as there is no cell walls to break down in the tea itself n thanks cosmic for re doing my 10cents worth properly cheers

Captain is offline Highly Valued TripMe Senior Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic ruler View Post
    "Swim the puts the juice into a icetray container over night then when frozen into a glad bseal bag an leave in freezer,these mushy cubes will store for months without loosing there potency."

I personally cant confirm/deny this method,but il re-read when i get a chance and delete this if incorrect.
    Apparantely if mushrooms are dried they can then be frozen.
    I wouldnt think the cell walls would matter so much if you froze them. they would only loose potency if either the pcycibn is broken down (I was understanding it was just a chemical rather than a cell). maybe if it is frozen then re-thawed it may leave some of the psyocibn behind?

that might explain why freezing tea is okay but not the full mushroom? and same for dry, there is no water to expand and break the cell walls making it less prone to shedding its goodness?

that was all me just theorising; I could be completely wrong haha
    Politics is the art of controlling your environment - HST

c0ke is offline Highly Valued TripMe Senior Contributor
    Thanks

For finding shrooms in auckland:

Wikipedia Information:

Code:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psilocybe_subaeruginosa
    What the bark you want to look for around motorways, parks, schools etc looks like:

Code:
    http://www.whiteslandscapesupply.com/Website%20Photos/Mulch%20Products/Pine%20Bark%20Nuggets.jpg
    Time of day:

You want to find mushrooms early in the morning because after the sun has been shining on the mushrooms (especially shrooms that aren't in shade) they dry out, loose potency and aren't as nice and fresh. Also an advantage of going in the morning is you beat all the other keen shroom hunters that are too hung over. Early bird always gets the worm!

Persistence:

If you haven't found a bunch of spots to hit up regularly then chances are it will take you a while to find some unless you are really lucky. Don't give up after an hour, or two, or three. Give up when you have found enough to get fucked up.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to c0ke For This Useful Post:

OldSmoker (08-07-2012)

c0ke is offline Highly Valued TripMe Senior Contributor
    Thanks

How to pick mushrooms:

When you pick mushrooms make sure you don't just pull them out of the ground. If you carefully pinch them like half way down and make sure you don't pull the roots out then more mushrooms will grow back faster from the same place.

Word of mouth:

If you find a mean patch then don't tell ANYONE. If you do, expect to get raided!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to c0ke For This Useful Post:

Auckland (26-07-2012), Ensto (21-08-2012), OldSmoker (08-07-2012), Sampioen (08-05-2017)

xthorx is offline Highly Valued TripMe Senior Contributor
    Thanks

Use scissors if you're espcially cautious about distrupting the mycelium.
    Hunt for P. Subs because theyre most common, unless you're experienced and are keen for something far superior [Aucklandii].

Subs grow in amongst barkchips where it is damp espcially. Around shrubs and areas close to the motorway is your best bet, although some parks etc will most surely have them. The best time to pick is straight after a good day of rain, thats when you get the most dank pretty subs ;D.

If you're hunting for aucklandii i'd recommend somewhere out west at riverhead pine plantation, I havnt had much luck at woodhill so I wouldnt recommend it.

The single BEST way to dose mushrooms is Lemon Tek. Google it and find out about it. You wont be dissapointed.

Thanks

Weed in NZ
    Haven't seen anyone mention this but also be weary of poisonous look a likes to subs, cant remember the scientific name, but they can be told apart by the stem, subs will have a white stem and bruise blue, however these poisonous ones have a white stem with nasty orange stuff on them, as well as an orange cap. Now im pretty sure they won't kill you but they definitely will give you a bad tummy and kill your night. Hopefully this will help all the new hunters, i know i would have rather found this out than have to go through it
    Happy hunting

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tahetl For This Useful Post:

Auckland (26-07-2012), cuben (26-07-2015), highdeas (07-05-2013), Mollythegardener (16-05-2014), OldSmoker (08-07-2012)